Writing Books/autheor profile

An agency states unpublished and published authors are to "tell us about yourself" in the query. Although I have a good idea what a published author would state about himself, what does a unpublished author write about himself?

Usually, what an agency is looking for in an unpublished author is just some basic information like whether the person is married or not, has children or not and whether the author's background or skills somehow enhanced the book. Like, if the book is set in a bed & breakfast, and the author owns and runs a bed & breakfast, then the publisher can capitalize on that in promotion. Or if the book is a thriller and the author was a former spy or military person, that can have value for the editor in knowing the facts are correct. But if none of those are pertinent to the book's content, then just a brief blurb about your hobbies or interests is fine.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp

I'm happy to answer questions about any aspect of writing novels, from the beginning kernel of an idea through completion. I can help with writing a query letter and synopsis to an agent or editor. I can explain publishing terminology and acronyms. I can also assist with questions about verifying the credentials of agents/publishers and how to proceed once you've been accepted for publication. I can teach the rules of formatting a manuscript, creating viable plots, characterization and flow in the following genres: romance, science fiction, fantasy, thrillers, suspense, horror, women's fiction, mainstream and mystery.

I'm a USA Today bestselling author of urban fantasy and paranormal romance for Tor/Forge Books. Along with a co-author, I've published fifteen novels (combination of mass market and trade softcover) since 2003, and have contracts for four more books through 2011.

Romance Writers of America, Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America, International Thriller Writers, Western Outdoor Writers, Horror Writers of America.

Tor/Forge Books, Western Reflections Publishing, BenBella Books, Running Press, Wild Child Publishing. Many others.

My educational background is limited to real life experience of publishing novels commercially for the past five years.

USA Today bestseller, Waldenbooks Mass Market Paperback Top 20 bestseller, Nielsen BookScan Top 20 bestseller, RT BOOKreviews Career Achievement Award winner, 2009, Book Buyers Best Award for Paranormal, Romantic Times Best Werewolf Novel, Write Touch Readers Award, EVVY Best Historical Chronicle Award, The Lories Best Paranormal. Many others.