Writing Books/How do i become a good author?

I want to be an author when i graduate do you have any tips on how i could make that happen??

Hi, Hailey!

Why wait? There's not a thing stopping you from learning the business right now. There have been plenty of high school and college students who have started successful publishing careers while still in their 'teens. Mostly, it takes sitting down and writing and you're in a position right now to really help your career by seeking out the advice of English and Writing teachers/professors. Express your interest in writing to them and see if they can help you get started. So many people wait until *after* they're out of school and all of a sudden they discover that the grammar and composition skills they ignored in school they now have to PAY for to have someone teach them.

So get busy and get started! There's always time, even if you're involved in sports and clubs. Plan 15-20 minutes every day where you can sit down at a computer or pad and start to write down ideas for plots, characters and such. Once you have a bunch of them together, start to figure out what you want to write and think of realistic dialogue for them to say. There are lots of books on the writing process in the library and online groups to join to learn the business. My best advice is not to wait. Do it now and get the jump on things while you have the resources available for free!

Good luck.

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp

I'm happy to answer questions about any aspect of writing novels, from the beginning kernel of an idea through completion. I can help with writing a query letter and synopsis to an agent or editor. I can explain publishing terminology and acronyms. I can also assist with questions about verifying the credentials of agents/publishers and how to proceed once you've been accepted for publication. I can teach the rules of formatting a manuscript, creating viable plots, characterization and flow in the following genres: romance, science fiction, fantasy, thrillers, suspense, horror, women's fiction, mainstream and mystery.

I'm a USA Today bestselling author of urban fantasy and paranormal romance for Tor/Forge Books. Along with a co-author, I've published fifteen novels (combination of mass market and trade softcover) since 2003, and have contracts for four more books through 2011.

Romance Writers of America, Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America, International Thriller Writers, Western Outdoor Writers, Horror Writers of America.

Tor/Forge Books, Western Reflections Publishing, BenBella Books, Running Press, Wild Child Publishing. Many others.

My educational background is limited to real life experience of publishing novels commercially for the past five years.

USA Today bestseller, Waldenbooks Mass Market Paperback Top 20 bestseller, Nielsen BookScan Top 20 bestseller, RT BOOKreviews Career Achievement Award winner, 2009, Book Buyers Best Award for Paranormal, Romantic Times Best Werewolf Novel, Write Touch Readers Award, EVVY Best Historical Chronicle Award, The Lories Best Paranormal. Many others.