Writing Books/timeline gap

Hello Jannie,
   My real name is actually John but I use Scooter sometimes to avoid the Dear John letters. Seriously, first off I would like to tell you how much I, as an aspiring writer, appreciate your volunteered time.
   This is the jist of the story. The protag in my story is a modern day archaeolgist. The antag is a seven century old vampire who has a plan to fulfill an ancient prophecy in the year 2006.  The protag, in 2006, is roughly 33 yrs of age. The protag inherits property in which nothing is really on the land other than sod and rocks. Naive to what he has just inherited, he discovers the prophecy and realizes he is the one who is to save the world and keep 6-6-06 from being the day evil reigns.

My dilemma is this. Is it wise to part a book out? Making the first part in early 1900's(where the antags know a child will be born in the future to try and stop him) then part two in modern day.
I do not know if bouncing back and forth is optional. If at all possible, please help as my dilemma depicts which way I need to go.

respectfully from your neck of the woods(Florida),

Yes, parting in different time lines is fantastic-- it can be done and keeps a reader interested.

When changing the time line, be sure the narrative presents it with obvious information going into the era and character. And when changing back, the narrative (third person) will present it with obvious time information so the reader knows.

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett

I am a published writer, Chief Editor and own A1 Editorial Service. I teach writing, specializing in novel writing, and creative writing. I can answer most any question concerning writing a book, plot and characterization, tighten the prose, and the editing process, and help advise with publishing and the requirements of obtaining a literary agent.

I'm a published writer, freelancer, and Chief Editor and own A1 Editorial Service. I teach writing for my two Online writer workshops.

Sisters In Crime Internet Chapter, The Short Mystery Fiction Society, and Brazos Writers Group.

Writers Post Journal magazine, May 2006 issue, Augusr 2006 issue, Nov/December 2006 issue and soon in 2008, On A Whim, flash fiction anthology, offered in Barnes & Nobles and Amazon.

Some college, creative writing, fiction writing

I have numerous clients using my service through my editorial service and numerous members in my Online writer workshops.