Writing Books/Welcome advice on starting a history novel

Question
Hello.  I've been a technical writer for some years and am planning on writing my first non-fiction book.  I'm a history buff and am considering a book (first in a series?) about a professional genealogist who, with the help of a wide range of characters found among his historical society compatriots, helps people find out information about their past, for a variety of reasons: greed, fame, finding lost love, etc.  I have not written one word yet... just developing story lines and characters in my head. As I do, I am asking people such as yourself for any insight or guidance you can offer. If this is too broad, I can certainly focus my question on, say, character development or marketing.  But being a beginner, I'll happily abide by whatever you say.  Thanks. -- Curtis

Answer
Thanks for your inquiry, Curtis.

I'm not the person to give advice on writing fiction. I write nonfiction. That said, here are some suggestions to get you started:

Subscribe to the free newsletter at Writers Market, http://www.writersmarket.com/.

Subscribe to the free newsletter at Writer's Digest, http://www.writersdigest.com/. This site also offers a link to 101 Websites for Writers.

Visit you nearest book store or library for how-to books.

Search amazon.com and b&n.com.

Search the web for How to Write Your First Novel, or Writing Fiction, and variations of those.

Consider joining a local writers' group. Your librarian should know of one.

Best wishes for every success.

Writing Books

Wayne Groner