Writing Books/writing a book

Hello. After many years, i finally have a short story that I recently finished, along with 3 other books still in the works. I am really confused about the entire process of getting a book published. I don't know where to even start. I have been told before that i should buy a book called writers market, find a book publishing agent, and send them a letter stating what kind of book i wrote. Is this the right steps to take? I have always dreamed of writing a book, and being published. But i need some really good advice.
Thank you for listening.

Hello Carissa:

Writer's Market lists publishers and what they are looking for. An agent has contacts in the book publishing industry, and when an agent finds a book s/he thinks has promise, s/he contacts publishers and pitches the book to them. Very few publishers accept manuscripts from would-be authors any more, so they rely on agents to screen for them. You can find a copy at your local library, or buy one online. It renews every year.

My understanding is that agents in general prefer to see a few chapters and a summary first. But before that, however, there are some things you need to do:

1. Finish your book.
2. Make sure there are no typos, spelling mistakes, grammar and/or usage errors in your MS. Have it professionally edited if you can.
3. Research agents carefully to find the one who is right for you. Plenty of them are online

I hope this helps. If it does, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high scores over 1900+ questions.

And good luck with your writing!  

Writing Books

Susan Rand

I can answer questions about the elements of fiction and non-fiction writing: how to get started, writing techniques, re-writing, etc. I will NOT write for you, do critiques except from my website at, or give you ideas. I will not answer home-or-schoolwork questions in any category. If English is your second language, please say so, and I will make an exception. Please submit no more than one or two questions at once, as I tend to go into detail in my answers.

I wrote my first book in 1957 and have been writing and studying writing since. I have a BA in Written Communications, and have taught writing both privately and through adult education for 15 years. Have also edited (fiction books) for an online publisher and edited/wrote more than 100 articles for a teen sex education site. Currently writing web content and mentoring beginning writers.

BA degree in Written Communication