Writing Books/Electronic publishing

Question
I have completed about 50,000 words of an historical fiction about World War I. The novel is an eclectic work in that it encompasses a vast amount of accurate history, a goodly amount of romance, and a mix of intrigue and guile. I am a published researcher in the fields of dentistry and periodontics, but I am unpublished in the genre of fiction of any sorts. I intend to complete this novel in another 50K to 100K words with a possible follow up novel set a little later in this time period. I plan to have this first work completed in less than a year, in time for the 100th anniversary of the Great War. As a first time novelist, I anticipate that I will probably have to submit this book as an online download. Should I try to find an agent for this work, or would I be better off just trying to fine an online resource.

Answer
Gary, I wrote you quite a lengthy reply, but when I hit the spellcheck button, the whole thing vanished. I contacted the tech to see if they could retrieve it. I'm hoping to get an answer by Tuesday, if I haven't received it, I'll rewrite.

Thanks for asking.

Writing Books

Susan Rand