Writing Books/To exotic of a story idea?

Question
I'm going to attempt to give you all the information you need to help me without overburdening you with long sentences and useless information, which I often do. Here it goes.
Fact 1: The main protagonist might be considered a typical 1950's gumshoe detective with a few of the accompanying cliches.
2: The story plot revolves around the murder of an important government official.
3: The protagonist must of course solve the mystery and find the murderer. Which is a lot more complicated than it first appears.
4: Oh, and it's set in a pseudo 15th century Middle Eastern culture complete with camels, sand, working magic and gods.
The way I described the detective might be a little misleading though, to accurately portray the time period (which is only slightly more advanced than the historical one), some things must be changed. But basically, he is a detective, in a time and place that has never known such a thing.
So my question is, as the header reads, is it too strange to base a story off of?
I thought of all the fantasy books I know and I noticed how 90% of them dealt with white Europeans in castles going on quests with elves. And I thought of all the rich culture, history and mythology surrounding the middle east and thought, why not write about that? And not about a young wizard that goes on Quests for Items Of Power because he's The Chosen One, but about a wizard that does what he does because 1: He gets paid for it, and 2: He desires to see justice done.
(If you can't tell, I failed on only giving you the facts in the last two paragraphs...)

Answer
Hi, Ben!

No, I don't think it's too exotic. I think it could be very interesting. But to say that the 15th century didn't have detectives probably isn't accurate. The Ottoman Empire in that time produced the some of the greatest thinkers the world has ever known. There were advancements in science, art, math and war. To think that within that framework, a person who was a brilliant detective COULDN'T exist would be odd. So build on that. Make the person a Sherlock or Poirot or Marlowe of their time. Make them someone who would study footprints in the sand for the weight and height of the attacker, or examine camel dung for destroyed written evidence of a crime. I think it could be fun, even if you don't go the magic route. In fact, a regular human up against magic could be a very fun novel. :)

Good luck with it!

Cathy

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp