Writing Books/Freelance writing

Question
Hello Jannie,

How strange, we nearly share the same name! :)

I am a 23 year old graduate of English Literature, and I harbour a desire to become a freelance writer; I've been contacting independent magazines as a start in order to achieve this ambition, but most of the time I don't get any response from them.

What are the ways in which - or better still, what would you recommend as a way in which I can sell myself to magazines? To send them a sample of my writing with a registering of my interest, or to ask them to set me a topic to write on? Am I contacting the wrong sources if I want to get into this field (I wish to specialise at first in Lifestyle and fashion writing, purely because I think I'm more qualified for the subject as I run a fashion related business in selling Vintage clothing, and then work my way up to more serious articles, interviews, reviews etc.)?

I'm also toying with the idea of taking a creative writing/script writing MA, as I feel it may give me more qualified authority in a CV, and I also wish to write plays and direct; either in radio or theatre. Do you feel this is necessary in order to chase firstly a career in freelance, and secondarily a career in the fields I've just mentioned?

Thanks for your time!
Janine

Answer
Hello Janine,

There are freelance web sites you can post your resume of qualifications on. Google that and join them all.

Also, Google the field you are interesting in writing for in search of those magazines. Most have web sites and contact information.

Narrow your selections and write them sending sample articles.

Beef up your qualifications in the field.

Also, you might want to join free site that let you post your articles for no pay so you can have published articles with interest.

Be sure to search for online e-zines that you can write for even if without monetary compensation to be able to expand your career information and experience.

Good luck.

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett