Writing Books/agents

Question
How can I zero in on agents handling my type of material?
Do you know of a good  agent guidebook?

A  may see that  an agent handles "urban fiction". But it doesn't specify that its chick lit type and not "Abraham Lincoln Vampire Killer" or a modern day male detective hunting vampires.
It can become difficult to locate exactly the type the agent handles.
Thanks.

Answer
You're right... it's difficult to know exactly what they handle.  But there are two guides I can recommend.

One is Jeff Herman's Guide to Book Publishers, Editors, and Literary Agents.  It's published annually.

The second, and the one I'm more familiar with, is the Guide to Literary Agents, published annually by Writer's Digest Books.  The 2012 editions of both of these books are available now.

In each of these, the agency will have a listing detailing what they are looking for, how to contact them, etc.  In most cases, they will also list some of their recent sales, so you can actually look at those books to see what they're like.  You can also, once you have one you think might be looking for your sort of work, Google the agency and find more books they've represented, which will help you even more.

Hope that helps.

Writing Books

Vincent M. Wales