Writing Books/How do you make a best selling first book?

Hello, I like to start and become a new author. My question is how do you start off with a good fact book on spirituality. I want to be a best selling author and I want also to be a best selling book. How do you start off making it sound interesting and the title as well?

Dear Jacqueline,

Thanks for the question. There is no easy answer, because it is the reader who decides if the book will sell. If you have good ideas for a book, then simply write it first and worry about selling it later. The first thing to do is to get the book written. Do not think about a title at this stage. When the book is complete you will need to find an agent to sell it. The decision about the title is usually made in conjunction with the author and the agent and publisher.

If that all sounds hard, then remember that self-help books about spirituality are often very big sellers.

All the best

Writing Books

Sandy McCutcheon

Author of 22 plays, 12 bestselling thrillers, a memoir and children's fiction.I can work with people on the process of writing, what to expect and ask for from an editor. How to work with the publisher`s marketing and publicity people. And how to survive book launches and publicity tours!

Published author of 22 plays, 12 bestselling thrillers, a young adult and three non-fiction titles. Visit his Moroccan blog at for a look at his blogging work.

St Andrews, Helsinki University and other institutions. Adult Educator of the Year Award, Australia