Writing Books/fiction writing and potential legal issues

Question
I will admit I am not the most avid reader but the books that I have read I rarely see well known brand names in the story lines. Are their legal ramifications when writing fiction and using brand names, i.e. characters interacting with a specific product?

Answer
Hello Steven,

Yes.  There are legal issues.  Fictionalize everything to be safe if you have to use a brand name.  When you see brand containers in movies, the producers have acquired permission to use these, and probably the brand is a sponsor or supporter for the advertising.  You would have to do the same thing.

Happy writing.
Dorothy

Writing Books

Dorothy K Morris