Writing Books/Trade names of cheeses for fictional characters

Question
Dear Jamie,

I have written and am moving towards publishing a book for teenagers in which the characters (mice) have cheese names, taken from international cheeses, such as 'Géramont', 'Zottarella', 'Petrella' , 'Stilton', to mention a few.

My question is, whether or not I would be in violation of international trademark laws in publishing this?

Thanks so much,
Kate

Answer
Hi, Kate

I sincerely apologize for taking so long to get back to you. I've been having computer problems that have disabled me from accessing the internet.

To be honest, I'm not familiar with trademarks held on cheeses, but as far as general trademarking goes, it is alright for authors to make positive or neutral references to the products which hold the trademark. Just so long as you do not give the trademark holder a negative reputation, you should be safe.

If you're ever uncertain, you may always research trademark rights for extensive information. In addition, I think that using cheese names for rodents is a cute and funny idea. Best of luck with your project!

Jamie

Writing Books

Jamie Darrach