Writing Books/Cliches

Question
I know what the word "cliche" means but sometimes in writing trying to identify it- it's not so "cut-and-dry" for me. Which of these 6 would you say are cliches, if not all of them?

1--- His eyes were as wide as the moon. #For this I belive it is. It would be preferred to say imo "His eyes were wider than the moon.#
2--- The look from him chilled her bones.
3--- As for Dorothy, her wounds would never really heal.
4--- It was like a war zone.
5--- Not exactly Mr. Sensitive, is he?
6---- The officer gave him a cold stare.

Answer
A cliché can be any phrase that has been used before, such as scared to death, mad as hell, happy as a pig in mud, and so forth. Clichés include word combinations used often, such as simple fact that; shiver (sob, cry) uncontrollably; brink of disaster; I, for one; mind’s eye; stunned silence; and the bottom line.

As you apparently suspect, things that cannot appear in reality often are clichés. For example, a stare has no temperature, so it cannot be cold; a look cannot make bones chilled; eyes cannot truly be as wide as a moon or wider than a moon, and most real wounds do heal, if we stay alive long enough.

Again, if you've heard it before, then it's a cliché. If you want to write creatively, create something new.

Clichés in dialogue are usually acceptable in moderation, because people do speak in overused, worn-out phrases. Writers should not lean on clichés in narrative, however.

Writing Books

Bobbie Christmas