Writing Books/School Career Project

Question
Hi for my 8th grade career project I need to interview someone in the field I am interested in, as I have always wanted to publish the stories I have written I was wondering if you would not mind answering a couple of questions for me for my project.  Thank you in advance for any help.

1.how would you characterize this career?
2.what do you think your future in this career will be like?
3.what is the potential income for this career?
4.what is a typical day/week like in your job
5.what do you like most about your job?
6.if you could hire someone for this job, what type of person would you hire?
7.how did you get onto this career
9.what education or training id required?
10. what are the best schools to attend?
11.what major should i choose?
12.what kind of people would one working with for this job

Answer
Hi, Jo! (BTW, everyone called me Jo when I was growing up. :D )

Happy to help:

It's an exciting job, but has long lulls between excitements.

I think my future is bright. I'm at a stage in my career where good things will happen.

The sky's the limit! If you come up with an original story that people love, you can become very wealthy. But it shouldn't be expected. A lot of people don't make much money. It's all about the book and the path you choose to publish.

Well, I have a day job for a regular employer, so my writing is a night and weekend sort of thing. it's a long, LONG day where you have to keep going even when you're tired and cranky because other people are depending on you to produce a quality product on schedule. That's the not so exciting part. But I love it all the same.

5.what do you like most about your job?

Seeing how my stories make people happy.

Someone who is a self-starter. Nobody is going to force you to get up in the morning at 4:00 a.m.  Nobody is going to make you stay up until midnight. It's all YOU.

7.how did you get onto this career

Sheer accident. I discovered I was good at writing and just started.

A high school education has served me very well. But (and it's a strong BUT!) it's also critical to continue education, whether privately or in higher education. Colleges are great, but they're not the be-all/end-all of education. That's that "self-starter" thing again... :)

Haven't a clue. Any good high school and self-study are perfectly adequate.

11.what major should i choose?

Depends. If you want to be a writer, choose a major that's heavy on language and creativity. And look at the sciences. They train your brain to be patient and careful. Both are very much required to be a writer.

I don't completely understand the question, but if you mean what sort of person would I want to work with, it's another creative person who is careful and is always wanting to learn more about the process. Learning can never end or you can't succeed as a writer.

Hope that helps!

Cathy

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp