Writing Books/Publishing

Hi, I have recently completed a teen/young adult fantasy novel, and I have attempted to present it to many publishers. Unfortunately, there have been issues. Firstly, I'm 14 years old, and many publishing houses do not want to work with underage authors. It seems only the self-publishing places are accepting. I don't know if this would be right for me. I would rather have other people do all the business of marketing it and stuff; I just want to get my book out there. I want to do it easily as well. I have money, and so I want to keep this away from my family until it is actually published. I'm sure I can pull it off on my own. Could you please direct me as to where to turn to now? Who can I find? I keep hoping I will get lucky and someone will simply pop up and be interested in what I have to offer, but that is not likely :). I'd be grateful if you could share some of what you might know on this...

Dear Whits,
Thank you for your letter. Congratulations for writing a great story that you want to publish. I agree that since you are only fourteen, you might consider self-publishing. The easiest place to self-publish is Amazon.com Kindle. You open an account at kdp.amazon.com, then upload your book as a Word doc. This will then sell as an electronic book, a Kindle. When you upload, they let you choose the keywords and write the description. Your parents will probably have to open the account, since it asks for your bank account and Social Security information. It does not cost anything, but if your publication makes money, they put the money in your bank account and send the information to the IRS.
As far as marketing, what you need is an audience. Every writer, especially fiction writers, must build up a readership. Publishers usually only take books from authors who are already famous, such as well-known journalists, celebrities, politicians, etc. Your job as a writer is to get your work known.
There are many ways to do that you will discover.
If you want to discuss further, please write back.

Writing Books

Nori J. Muster

Writing and publishing books, including e-books.

I have been writing for publication since 1981, including years as a staff writer, associate editor, editorial writer, and freelance reporter. At this time, I have eight Kindle books for sale at Amazon.com.

Lakes of Tempe Authors, Tempe, Arizona

Betrayal of the Spirit: My Life behind the Headlines of the Hare Krishna Movement
Dreaming Peace: Your Thoughts Can Change the World
Cult Recovery Handbook: Seven Paths to an Authentic Life
Child of the Cult
Learning to Flow with the Tao: The 64 Hexagrams of the I Ching
Positive Quotations: Wisdom from the Master Mind
Collected Writings: Five Books by Nori Muster
Noriland Art Gallery: Secrets from the Vault
Spiritual Summer and Other Short Stories

UCLA Extension Writer's Program, 1988 - 1994
Master's Degree in Interdisciplinary Studies, Western Oregon University, 1991

USA Today, Los Angeles Times, BBC World Services Focus on Faith, BBC Sunday Programme, Salon.com, Glamour Magazine, Portland Mercury News, W-Five TV (Toronto), Publisher's Weekly, Boston Phoenix, San Francisco Chronicle, ABC TV News - 20/20, ABC radio, Associated Press, The Age (Melbourne), Rediff.com, The New York Times, Religious News Service, Dallas Morning News, Columbia Journalism School, Whole Life Times (Los Angeles), Toronto Sun, the John Dayle Show (KFYI AM, Phoenix), the Eliot Stein Show (syndicated radio and Internet broadcast), Discovery with Josh Wagner (KKUP, 91.5 FM, Santa Clara, California), KOGO (News Radio 600, San Diego), Jupiterís Girl syndicated radio show, Lakes Log.

Book Reviews:
Publisherís Weekly, Feminist Bookstore News, Yoga Journal, New York Post, Choice Magazine, Boston Herald, Nexus (Colorado), Gentle Strength Times, Coastlines (UCSB alumni), Theology Digest, Nova Religio, Rapport, India West, Rediff.com, Amazon.com.

Book Signings:
Prescott College reunion; Gentle Strength Co-op, Tempe; Different Drummer Bookshop, Laguna Beach; L.A. Times Toastmasters; Biltmore Plaza Border's Books, Phoenix; Bodhi Tree Bookstore, Los Angeles; Health & Life Enrichment Expo, Pasadena; Sacramento Reads book festival, and others.

ISKCON World Review, Van Dhal Publications, Gentle Strength Times, Arizona Woman, Lakes Log, ICSA Today, Cultic Studies Review, University of Illinois Press, Kindle, steamboats.com, surrealist.org, Apple Books, and others.