Writing Books/real names in a fictional book

Question
The Blackjack Player
The Blackjack Player  
Dorothy
I'm busy working on my second mystery novel (the first can be found at http://www.geraldboltz.com)in a series character called The Blackjack Player. My second book is about An Indian tribe using their casinos to laundry money. If I used the name of an actual Indian tribe, am I open to liability or no. I usually use actual business names and places because I believe readers like to see familiar locates- helps them to identify with characters, but maybe denigrating an actual tribal business might be going to far. What do you think, legally speaking?
Gerald Boltz

Answer
Hello Gerald,

I am not a legal expert. I am an adviser on creative writing; however, in my opinion you will be opening yourself up to law suits not only from the Native American tribe, but the business you mention by name.

Also, to laundry money is to wash it.  You mean is launder money. And the word is locals not locates.

You might want to consult a lawyer to see what the penalty would be if you use actual names and places in your book.  I don't thin a publisher would touch your book if you write it that close to reality. Using fictional names is much wiser.

Sincerely,
Dorothy

Writing Books

Dorothy K Morris