Writing Books/punctuation

Question
DCear Bobby'

which is correct?

When will this incessant waiting end? He kept thinking.

When will this incessant waiting end? he kept thinking.

Thanks, I think it's "he kept thinking."

dickie

Answer
When a sentence in your own writing raises such a question, perhaps the best solution is to recast the sentence to avoid the issue. If it were my own writing, I would recast the sentence in either of the following ways:

C. He kept thinking, When will this incessant waiting end? (note: When will this incessant waiting end? should be in set italics, but italics do not show up on this website)

D. He kept wondering when the incessant waiting would end.

If you are editing someone else's work, however, you would not want to rewrite, but edit, in which case my preference is the following, because the sentence itself is not a question but a statement:

E. When will this incessant waiting end, he kept thinking.

That said, I work with at least one traditional publisher that does embed a question mark in such a case. Its style would then call for a modified B. The italics don't show in the following example, but note that the thought (When will this incessant waiting end?# is in italics, and the attribution #he kept thinking) is in lowercase Roman type. Yes, your spellchecker will highlight the h and want you to capitalize it; another reason to recast the whole sentence for clarity.

F. When will this incessant waiting end? he kept thinking.

Consistency matters, so if you use style F in one place in a manuscript, continue to use that same style throughout the manuscript.

Writing Books

Bobbie Christmas