Writing Books/Writing a memoir

Dear Mr. Wayne Groner,

Iam a student of Thomas Jefferso High School and
I just wanted to ask you, because I clearly have no
idea of how to write a memoir. It is suppose to be
About my name and birthday, but Iam so confused.
Can you please help me??

Thank you very much....:)

Thanks for your question, Darlene.

A memoir is about your memories, perceptions, feelings, and changes over a limited period of time. The time can be childhood, teenage years, young adulthood, military service, travel, professional career, and so forth.

Visit my blog,, for more than 75 articles on writing memoir.

Search your browser field for the words memoir writing and lots of things will come up.

Your librarian should be able to direct you to some how-to books. Two books I found helpful are The Heart and Craft of Lifestory Writing: How to Transform Memories Into Meaningful Stories, Sharon M. Lippincott (Lighthouse Point Press, 2009), and Legacy: A Step-by-step Guide to Writing Personal History, Linda Spence (Swallow Press/Ohio University Press, 1997).

Best wishes for a successful project.

Writing Books

Wayne Groner

I can answer questions on all aspects of writing memoirs, biographies, family histories, and corporate histories including handling sensitive issues, interviewing, editing, self-publishing, and setting up a business as a memoir writer.

I have more than twenty-five years of experience as a radio and television news reporter, author, freelance writer, and workshop presenter. I present classes to nonprofits and professional groups, "How to Write Your Memoir or Life Story." I'm author of four nonfiction books. My latest book is A Guide to Writing Your Memoir or Life Story: Tools, Tips, Methods and Examples, available in paperback and eBook at Amazon. I'm past president of Springfield Writers' Guild (Missouri). My articles and book reviews on a variety of topics have been published in national magazines and on the Web. I was a senior-level college administrator for twenty-seven years, including nine years as a vice president, during which I wrote newsletters, brochures, magazine articles, and published and edited an alumni magazine.

Missouri Center for the Book, Springfield Writers' Guild, Greene County Historical Society, Christian County Historical Society.

Books: Witnesses of Hope, Faith, Love and Healing; Dumb Luck or Divine Guidance; The Pastor's Guide to Fund-raising Success; Levell-Drew Family History. National magazines including CASE Currents, Congregations, Ozarks Mountaineer, Your Community Hospice, Power and Light series of Sunday-school curriculum for adult learners.

Graceland College