Writing Books/Tips on writing an Autobiography

I want to write an autobiography but I don't know where to begin. I can't seem to figure out how to place my life events into a book in the correct order, and I'm not really sure what should be put in, and what should be left out. I could really use tips and would appreciate any info you can provide.

Hi Regan,

Congratulations on beginning a memoir. I personally find this one of the most daunting forms of literature to compose.

Before you begin, you need to think about the themes which you wish to express. Jotting them down wouldn't hurt. Then mentally shuffle through your memories to determine which particular events will express your message, and which events are necessary to support those events. Needless to say, you don't want to include bits of experiences that have no relevance to your message.

With memoirs, it is best to recount events in chronological order, because that is the way life works - and memoirs are based on real life. Likewise, you will need to begin at the point where the events become relevant, whether that be babyhood, or your twenty-first birthday.

I hope this helps. Good lick in all your endeavors.

Writing Books

Jamie Darrach

I can answer just about any question regarding the composition, editing, and publishing procedures for all forms of literature. I will give aspiring authors ample tips on how to strengthen plot, how make story-lines and characters credible, how to improve visual description and dialogue, and how to make works flow easily and naturally. In addition, I can give writers advice on how to adequately edit and revise their works. I have knowledge of the literary market, and can advise writers in which route would be best for their piece, including offer examples of presses and agents who work with manuscripts in the author's category.

I have been writing for eleven years, having completed fourteen novels, several short stories, and countless pieces of poetry. I am experienced in multiple genres. I have worked as a copy-editor and critic for aspiring authors. I have researched the literary market from inside-out, and can provide much information to writers who are seeking advice.

College for BA in English