Writing Books/creating an enemy

Question
QUESTION: Miss Clamp,

I'm asking for help on a book I'm writing with Norse mythology but I need help creating a unique enemy. Any pointers? Please Help!!

Sincerely,
         Mary

ANSWER: Hi, Mary!

A lot depends on what sort of story you're writing. Is this fiction? Non-fiction? Is it children's, young adult, or adult? Is the hero human or demi-god or god? Do you want the villain to be someone equal-ish in power to the hero/ine or totally overwhelming him/her?

Give me a bit more and we'll see what we can come up with. :)

Cathy

QUESTION: Hi again,
 The book is fiction (of course) for young adults and the heroine starts off human but is mutating into a demi-god sort of thing with abilities that she is continuously finding out about in the book. The villain can be slightly more powerful but overall, they are equal.

Thank you for hearing me out!
         Mary  

P.S. This is my first book, so I want the book to be somewhat good. So some of my questions may be somewhat stupid, but can you PLEASE bare with me? Again, thank you so much.

Answer
Well, you could do a couple of things. Since it's a YA novel, you could either have the enemy be a rival teen with similar powers (maybe the child of one of the gods?), but who has more EXPERIENCE, and kicks her tail at first. Or it can be another demi-god planning to usurp one of the gods for a seat in Valhalla. Or, it could even be one of the Valkyres who doesn't like the idea of a teen mortal being granted powers so easily. Lots of possiblities!

Hope that helps!

Cathy

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp