Writing Books/Fiction legal question

Question
Does writing a book as fiction protect the author from all libel lawsuits?  If the author uses the words "based on true events", does that protect even if there are identifying characteristics?

Thank you so much!

Answer
Hi, Dawna,

Unfortunately, not even writing actual fiction will protect an author from all lawsuits. Anyone can sue anyone, for anything. What you want is to avoid is a SUCCESSFUL lawsuit--where you lose the suit.

The closer you get to creating a character that is similar to a real person in the text, the better the likelihood you could lose. See, if you're profiting from someone else's misery (or even from their success), you could be deemed to have harmed them. If you worry that a particular person could sue for a negative treatment of the person, the best thing to do is write the book and then have an attorney review it to see if you've created a "cause of action" that could lead to a successful suit. There are a lot of attorneys around who do this sort of thing. You can find one in your area through a legal directory website called Martindale-Hubbell (http://www.martindale.com )

Hope that helps!  Good luck!

Cathy

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp