Writing Books/First Book Jitters

Question
Hi Cathy,

I recently started my first fantasy novel.  I outlined my first book, then it quickly turned into plots for three.  At this point I am aiming for a YA novel.  At first I was excited to get started on this adventure, but now I go through periods of worry and doubt.  I only have about 5,000 words written right now.  Should I have someone in the genre read what I have so far to give me feedback or wait a little longer?  How do I know if I am good enough or if I'm just wasting my time?

Thank you for your time!

Answer
Hi, Lindy!

I don't know that there's any way to know after only 5,000 words whether you're good enough. I understand getting jittery the longer you write because it's only when you start to really reveal the plot (versus just writing a scene) that you know whether it'll hold together.

It's okay that you have plots for three books, but make sure that the first book can stand alone in case it's the only one that ever gets bought. I tend to compare a debut novel to STAR WARS (the movie, not the books.) If EMPIRE STRIKES BACK and RETURN OF THE JEDI were never made, would STAR WARS have still been a great movie and stood alone? Yes, absolutely. Because even though you knew there was still a war going on between the rebels and the Emperor, the battle of the day was won and the people survived. If your three books is the "war", make sure the first book wins the "battle."

My best advice is to wait until you have at least 25,000 written, so a full quarter of a typical 100,000 word novel. Then, if you're still not sure, have someone who reads the genre take a look.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Cathy

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp