Writing Books/writing articles to promote your book

As you know I have a short story on Amazon. One author states that to promote your business you should write articles with helpful tips people can use. I wondered how I might do this?
My book is on Sherlock Holmes, I have a MA in PR and Organizational Communication and took courses towards a certificate in new media.

What articles might attract people to my book site?
Is it possible to follow the authors suggestions?

Hi Demetrius,

You can write articles about your book (e.g. process you used to create your book, marketing strategies that have helped you sell more books). You can also write articles that provide tips other writers/readers of your blog can use to grow their own book sales, business, etc.

It's truly up to you. Whatever you decide to write about, you're going to have to market your blog. For example, you'll need to submit your blog to search engines, submit articles you write to social media sites like Pinterest, Digg, Facebook, Twitter, Floost, LinkedIn, Google Plus, etc. It generally takes awhile to build blog traffic, but if you post 4-5 new articles at your blog a week you should see growth in 2 to 3 months.

You might find it helpful to join a blogger discussion forum.  A few I know of are:

All the best!

Writing Books

Rhonda Campbell

I can answer questions on how to get published in magazines and newspapers; how to market your own books; how to earn a living writing; how to write press releases; how to find a good editor; how to edit your own books; finding a good printer; finding a good book illustrator; doing your taxes as a freelance writer. Questions I can't answer include specifics around working with a print on demand publisher

I have 36 years of experience as a writer (fiction and non-fiction). I am a book reviewer with Nielsen Media. I am a newspaper columnist and a reporter. I am a former radio station host and I am the editor of a literary newsletter, The Book Lover's Haven. I am also the author of more than 10 books.

Writer's Critique Group

The Trenton Times Philadelphia Trend Sisters in Style Essence Magazine The Pittsburgh Quarterly Obsidian II, etc.

I have taken numerous writing courses on book, proposal and grant writing as well as marketing and promotion

100 Most Admired African American Women Who's Who