Writing Books/Legal issues with writing

Question
Hello, my name is Caroline. I am planning to write an autobiography/memoir. In my book, I will write about people in my life. It is not a tell all book, but I need to write about them because it explains how I came to be. Everything I will write about is true. Nothing will be made up or exaggerated. How do I make sure I don't get sued for libel, slander, or anything of that nature?

I will be changing the names of everyone in my book and putting a disclaimer that everything I write is true to the best of my knowledge. Also, I am planning on writing under a pen name. Does that safeguard me from lawsuits? What happens if I never reveal who I really am, but someone finds out that the pen name is mine, will I still get sued.

Thank You.

Answer
Thanks for your questions, Caroline.

I'm not an attorney, but I know this: Nothing will prevent you from being sued. Anyone can sue anyone over anything. Whether the suing party wins is another matter.

Generally, writers of memoirs do not include the kind of disclaimer you suggest. The basic idea of a memoir is your memories. When you say "Nothing will be made up or exaggerated" you are saying you are able to remember everything exactly as it occurred and that is not possible. Because these are your memories, you will recall them differently than others and you will present your own view of them and your own take on the results. That's just human nature.

Your best bet is to discuss your project with a lawyer who is familiar with legal issues in the publishing business. In the end, though, it will be your judgement on what to include.

Best wishes for every success.

Writing Books

Wayne Groner