Writing Books/Manuscripts

Hello, I am writing a non-fiction book, but I don't know how to turn the pages into chapters on the manuscript.

Hi Shelia,

First of all, what kind of nonfiction is this? Is it informational, like a science or philosophy book? Or is it more historical fiction? An memoir, perhaps? Depending on the sub-genre, chapter breaks may vary.

The most important thing to remember is to separate each topic and sub-topic into its own category, or chapter. So, if you're writing a piece on biology, you may want to consider a chapter devoted to, say, evolution and one devoted to the roles of organs in the human body. Think of each chapter as a large essay covering the topic. Start with a hook, create a body, and wrap up with an ending that answers whatever questions are posed at the start of the chapter.

If this is more of a memoir type piece, then you want to set it up more like a fiction novel. The chapter length will depend on your preference (my sister is an author and she does 7-10 pages per chapter, while I prefer 20-30). On any account, be sure to end the chapter at a place which can be easily transitioned into the next. In addition, you should remember to end it at either a crucial point, or with some deep or witty statement.

I cannot go more in-depth, because you have not specified your sub-genre. I hope what information I could provide will be of use to you.

Writing Books

Jamie Darrach

I can answer just about any question regarding the composition, editing, and publishing procedures for all forms of literature. I will give aspiring authors ample tips on how to strengthen plot, how make story-lines and characters credible, how to improve visual description and dialogue, and how to make works flow easily and naturally. In addition, I can give writers advice on how to adequately edit and revise their works. I have knowledge of the literary market, and can advise writers in which route would be best for their piece, including offer examples of presses and agents who work with manuscripts in the author's category.

I have been writing for eleven years, having completed fourteen novels, several short stories, and countless pieces of poetry. I am experienced in multiple genres. I have worked as a copy-editor and critic for aspiring authors. I have researched the literary market from inside-out, and can provide much information to writers who are seeking advice.

College for BA in English