Writing Books/Pre-Publication Promotion

Question
Hello,

I am getting ready to publish my first book in one month.  It will be a Kindle ebook on working from home.  I have been vacillating about engaging in pre-promotional activities, because I have been concerned about someone stealing my cover or my idea, and perhaps getting it out there before me.  Meaning I don't feel safe until I publish it.

Is this something that I should be concerned with, or am I creating a problem in my mind that does not exist in reality.

Answer
Hello Kee:

Congratulations on finishing your first book!

Many first-time authors worry about theft, quite unnecessarily. It almost never happens. For one reason, it's illegal. Second, to be frank, very few first books are worth the time and trouble it would take to steal them. If you were a best-selling name like Stephen King or Suzanne Collins, maybe. Ideas are not protected by copyright, so anyone is free to use your ideas, but even so, if they wrote a book based on the same idea, it would be a totally different book.

At this time, what you should be thinking about is this: once you have your book on Kindle, will anyone read (buy) it? Do you know what it takes to interest a reader, and keep them interested? Have you had your book professionally edited? For a first time author, this is critical.

I hope this helps. If it does, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high scores over 900+ questions.

Thank you for writing, and good luck with your book.

Susan Rand
THE PYGMY PRESS  

Writing Books

Susan Rand