Writing Books/first book

Question
Hi Rhonda, please help me, I want to write my firat horror book,I have 3 books part one, part two, part three,I found that its hard to know what goes at start of book, how many words do I use for horror book, how many words also for each page, what font size should I use? what style of font should I use, I think that I have a real talent for writing horror books, many people have read my work on paper, and said it was very good, it was my last girlfriend who sort of helped me, she liked king books so much,and I said to her one day, what is so good about a king book, having never really wanted anything to do with reading, she said if I read one, I will know, so I did, brilliant, but then I said to her, I can write a small horror that will scare you, you will be scared to turn out the lights at night, well,I did, and she was so scared, she said I should start a book, so I started, but not know enough about english grammer, its a worry for me, my age is 46, long time I was last in school, can you get people to put the grammer right when your finished? please help, I write until 4 am sometime, so tired and worried, thanks for reading this, take care

Answer
Hi Steve,

Congratulations on writing your books.

In regards to the font, number of words per page, etc., I recommend you check with the literary agent or publisher you're working with to get their guidelines. If you're self-publishing the book, I recommend at least one inch margins and an easy to read font (e.g. Times New Roman). A typical novel is 200 or more pages.

In regards to grammar, I recommend hiring a professional editor who can line edit your manuscript. You can also work with a professional writer's critique group (they meet at local libraries, bookstores, etc.). If you do a search online, you can also find writer's groups that review each others work over the Internet. Generally, there is no charge to join and work with a writer's group.

Magazines like The Writer and Writer's Digest also provide information on manuscripts, landing literary agents, marketing your books, etc.

All the best!

Writing Books

Rhonda Campbell