Writing Books/ISBN

Question
Hi Nori.

This is a two-part question.

1. I helped a local nonprofit publish a book the organization originally planned to give away to board members, donors, and friends. After the book was printed we discovered a typographical error in the ISBN and barcode. The ISBN belongs to another publisher now out of business. Is this a serious problem for the nonprofit?

2. The nonprofit now wants to make the book available on Amazon.com using CreateSpace. We have the book and cover in PDF and can remove the ISBN and barcode before uploading to CreateSpace. CreateSpace requires a new ISBN, which the nonprofit is prepared to purchase. Should we print on the copyright page the words Second Edition?

Thanks.

Answer
Dear Wayne,
Thank you for your questions.
I am not an attorney, so I can't give you a definitive answer to the first question, but since it was an honest mistake, I would say don't worry about it. Also, since the other publisher is out of business, and the book was just a limited printing for board members, donors, and friends, I would say double don't worry about it. That is not a legal opinion, just a common sense opinion.
Your second question, it definitely will be a second edition, so you are right in putting second edition on the copyright page.
I am not familiar with CreateSpace, but I know that Kindle gives you an AISN, which is Amazon's numbering system. But if CreateSpace requires ISBNs, it sounds like you are prepared to do it.
Write back if any more questions.
Best to you,
Nori

Writing Books

Nori J. Muster