Writing Books/ISBN

Hi Nori.

This is a two-part question.

1. I helped a local nonprofit publish a book the organization originally planned to give away to board members, donors, and friends. After the book was printed we discovered a typographical error in the ISBN and barcode. The ISBN belongs to another publisher now out of business. Is this a serious problem for the nonprofit?

2. The nonprofit now wants to make the book available on Amazon.com using CreateSpace. We have the book and cover in PDF and can remove the ISBN and barcode before uploading to CreateSpace. CreateSpace requires a new ISBN, which the nonprofit is prepared to purchase. Should we print on the copyright page the words Second Edition?

Dear Wayne,
Thank you for your questions.
I am not an attorney, so I can't give you a definitive answer to the first question, but since it was an honest mistake, I would say don't worry about it. Also, since the other publisher is out of business, and the book was just a limited printing for board members, donors, and friends, I would say double don't worry about it. That is not a legal opinion, just a common sense opinion.
Your second question, it definitely will be a second edition, so you are right in putting second edition on the copyright page.
I am not familiar with CreateSpace, but I know that Kindle gives you an AISN, which is Amazon's numbering system. But if CreateSpace requires ISBNs, it sounds like you are prepared to do it.
Write back if any more questions.
Best to you,

Writing Books

Nori J. Muster

Writing and publishing books, including e-books.

I have been writing for publication since 1981, including years as a staff writer, associate editor, editorial writer, and freelance reporter. At this time, I have eight Kindle books for sale at Amazon.com.

Lakes of Tempe Authors, Tempe, Arizona

Betrayal of the Spirit: My Life behind the Headlines of the Hare Krishna Movement
Dreaming Peace: Your Thoughts Can Change the World
Cult Recovery Handbook: Seven Paths to an Authentic Life
Child of the Cult
Learning to Flow with the Tao: The 64 Hexagrams of the I Ching
Positive Quotations: Wisdom from the Master Mind
Collected Writings: Five Books by Nori Muster
Noriland Art Gallery: Secrets from the Vault
Spiritual Summer and Other Short Stories

UCLA Extension Writer's Program, 1988 - 1994
Master's Degree in Interdisciplinary Studies, Western Oregon University, 1991

USA Today, Los Angeles Times, BBC World Services Focus on Faith, BBC Sunday Programme, Salon.com, Glamour Magazine, Portland Mercury News, W-Five TV (Toronto), Publisher's Weekly, Boston Phoenix, San Francisco Chronicle, ABC TV News - 20/20, ABC radio, Associated Press, The Age (Melbourne), Rediff.com, The New York Times, Religious News Service, Dallas Morning News, Columbia Journalism School, Whole Life Times (Los Angeles), Toronto Sun, the John Dayle Show (KFYI AM, Phoenix), the Eliot Stein Show (syndicated radio and Internet broadcast), Discovery with Josh Wagner (KKUP, 91.5 FM, Santa Clara, California), KOGO (News Radio 600, San Diego), Jupiterís Girl syndicated radio show, Lakes Log.

Book Reviews:
Publisherís Weekly, Feminist Bookstore News, Yoga Journal, New York Post, Choice Magazine, Boston Herald, Nexus (Colorado), Gentle Strength Times, Coastlines (UCSB alumni), Theology Digest, Nova Religio, Rapport, India West, Rediff.com, Amazon.com.

Book Signings:
Prescott College reunion; Gentle Strength Co-op, Tempe; Different Drummer Bookshop, Laguna Beach; L.A. Times Toastmasters; Biltmore Plaza Border's Books, Phoenix; Bodhi Tree Bookstore, Los Angeles; Health & Life Enrichment Expo, Pasadena; Sacramento Reads book festival, and others.

ISKCON World Review, Van Dhal Publications, Gentle Strength Times, Arizona Woman, Lakes Log, ICSA Today, Cultic Studies Review, University of Illinois Press, Kindle, steamboats.com, surrealist.org, Apple Books, and others.