Writing Books/quoting and profit sharing

Hello!   In my book I use several quotes, some I know who said them, some I don't.  Should I omit the ones I don't?  And the ones I do,  I think it would be fair to give them some of the profits. Your thoughts, please.  Thank you, Jackie Power

Hi Jackie,

Congratulations on writing your book!  

If you don't know who made a quote, you could list the quote as "Unknown". I've never heard of someone paying someone for including their quote in a book. If you want to pay someone you quote a portion of the profits from your book, I'd contact an attorney first as you could end up being responsible for reporting the numbers of books sold, cost of each book sold, date books were sold on, etc.

Personally, I think it could open up more questions and reporting on your part than you might want.

Below is a link offering guidance on including quotes in textbooks:

All the best!

Writing Books

Rhonda Campbell

I can answer questions on how to get published in magazines and newspapers; how to market your own books; how to earn a living writing; how to write press releases; how to find a good editor; how to edit your own books; finding a good printer; finding a good book illustrator; doing your taxes as a freelance writer. Questions I can't answer include specifics around working with a print on demand publisher

I have 36 years of experience as a writer (fiction and non-fiction). I am a book reviewer with Nielsen Media. I am a newspaper columnist and a reporter. I am a former radio station host and I am the editor of a literary newsletter, The Book Lover's Haven. I am also the author of more than 10 books.

Writer's Critique Group

The Trenton Times Philadelphia Trend Sisters in Style Essence Magazine The Pittsburgh Quarterly Obsidian II, etc.

I have taken numerous writing courses on book, proposal and grant writing as well as marketing and promotion

100 Most Admired African American Women Who's Who