Writing Books/Book series

Hi Jamie,

I am finishing up my first volume of a children's picture ebook.  My question is about the length of time between volumes.  What would you say is a decent amount of time to take between volumes (or issues).  I imagine the beginning of a run is a very  time.  I don't want to wait too long and make possible followers lose interest.  Hope you can help.

Hi Anthony,

It depends on the publishing house and the grade level of the book, as well as the size of the audience. Your editor will tell you what he wants. After the first book is put on the market and, depending on how well it markets, your editor will assign you a deadline for the second volume. It is usually at least six months, and more commonly between one and three years. It takes several months just for the publisher to get the book on the market. This is something you will need to discuss with your editor. He will let you know! Good luck!

Writing Books

Jamie Darrach

I can answer just about any question regarding the composition, editing, and publishing procedures for all forms of literature. I will give aspiring authors ample tips on how to strengthen plot, how make story-lines and characters credible, how to improve visual description and dialogue, and how to make works flow easily and naturally. In addition, I can give writers advice on how to adequately edit and revise their works. I have knowledge of the literary market, and can advise writers in which route would be best for their piece, including offer examples of presses and agents who work with manuscripts in the author's category.

I have been writing for eleven years, having completed fourteen novels, several short stories, and countless pieces of poetry. I am experienced in multiple genres. I have worked as a copy-editor and critic for aspiring authors. I have researched the literary market from inside-out, and can provide much information to writers who are seeking advice.

College for BA in English