Writing Books/Legal Implications

Question
I am writing a pseudo nonfiction novel that will ultimately end up being fiction. Given the nonfiction nature of it (i.e. events, situations, people), what are the legal ramifications I need to be aware of in the off chance that it is one day published? I have already changed all names and some facts, however anyone that was privy to the situations discussed in it will, I have no doubt, know immediately who the people talked about are.

Answer
Donald,

As long as you change the names, then you should be okay. If you're using a person's name, and they are still living, then you will need to get written permission. Although by changing names you can avoid slander issues, in order to avoid personal issues, make sure that the people you're writing about are okay with it, or you may make them upset!

Jamie

Writing Books

Jamie Darrach