Writing Books/Quote or No Quote

Question
I've written a novel that involves telepathy between a brother, sister, and an immortal.

I had a friend (whose major was editing and creative writing) recommend that I place quotes on the italicized conversation.

I've checked the internet for others seeking the very same question and found only one place and the suggestion was to add quotes, but left the option open as the conversation continued. Some said, "yay" and some said, "nay". This only confused me more as I have not found a definite answer to this dilemma.

I purchased your book, "Write In Style," and loved the tools and techniques you offered.

I thought if anyone would know an answer to this question it would certainly be you.

I think a set standard needs to be applied, as many paranormal books involve telepathy. The discussion I read before was that at times it was just a thought and not actual conversation, and at other times it was an actual conversation, both written in italics. To distinguish the two, you should add quotes.

So confused :(

Please help!

Answer
First, thank you for buying and reading Write In Style!

Next, the Chicago Manual of Style, the authority when it comes to technicalities in books, leaves up to the author the issue of how to format direct thoughts, which is the reason why you cannot find any absolute answer. It says you can use quotation marks or use italics to indicate thoughts, so it seems logical to me that when the characters are speaking out loud, their dialogue should be in quotation marks, to indicate verbal speech. When they are communicating telepathically, they are thinking, and for that reason, I recommend putting telepathic communication in italics. When the characters first communicate telepathically, then, you need only to explain once that they were not speaking out loud (however you want to let the readers know), and from then on, readers will understand that quotation marks indicate spoken dialogue and italics indicate telepathic dialogue.

As for how to distinguish telepathic dialogue from personal thoughts, I have a not-so-simple answer. Whenever a writer tells what a character is thinking (except perhaps in the case of telepathic dialogue), the writer is telling, rather than showing. Good writing, however, shows, rather than tells. Because thoughts tell, rather than show, I strongly advise against using personal thoughts at all and instead show (rather than tell) what a character is thinking through his or her action and dialogue. He can even speak to himself, as long as it's brief. Example, "Jeez, next she'll have me paying her mortgage."

Writing Books

Bobbie Christmas