Writing Books/Multiple projects.

Hi Sandy.
Just wondering, when you're writing a novel, do you stick only with that project, or if you get, say, a good idea for a short story, do you rite both simultaneously? I worry if I get a idea for a good short story, I need to write it, but do you think this will have an effect on my novel?

Thank you

Hi Michael,

What an interesting question! I say that because it recently happened to me. In that case I actually adapted the short story and included it as an episode in the novel. However, normally I would simply make notes about the short story and continue with the novel.  Writing a novel is much easier if it is a constant piece of work and the flow, style and continuity can be disrupted by taking too many breaks.

Writing Books

Sandy McCutcheon

Author of 22 plays, 12 bestselling thrillers, a memoir and children's fiction.I can work with people on the process of writing, what to expect and ask for from an editor. How to work with the publisher`s marketing and publicity people. And how to survive book launches and publicity tours!

Published author of 22 plays, 12 bestselling thrillers, a young adult and three non-fiction titles. Visit his Moroccan blog at for a look at his blogging work.

St Andrews, Helsinki University and other institutions. Adult Educator of the Year Award, Australia