Writing Books/repetition: when good; when bad

Question
Hello Bobbie,

Re: back cover blurb; non-fiction.

As I understand it, blurb typically ends with or at least contains a single sentence or phrase that possesses, by itself, power enough to suck-in the reader. In effect, isn't the rest of the blurb there to get the reader TO that one sentence? Ideally, it's one powerful enough to sum up the entire book, its goal, or the motive for it. What I have so far not been able to find out, anywhere, however, is whether once used in the blurb, that statement (or some variation of it) should not appear again—say, in the Preface or Introduction.

I'm of the opinion that, much like a billboard, blurb is a completely separate entity. Just because your book is quoted on the side of a road somewhere doesn't mean you are repeating yourself. Would you agree; and if so, would you consider it permissible to repeat within the text and without danger of accusations of repetitiveness, even several of the key statements made on the back cover?

ATB,
Bud

Answer
A back cover blurb is a commercial intended to make readers buy the book. For that reason, the same blurb should not be part of a novel, but I can see circumstances under which it could be used again in the preface or introduction of a nonfiction book.

Writing Books

Bobbie Christmas