Writing Books/Fan-fiction and copyright issues

Question
Where does copyright protect fan-fiction?
My fan fiction is parodies of new car/used car guides and car sales magazines such as Auto Trader and MotorCarPages; done for both artistic and fictional purposes. The magazines are not named Auto Trader or Motor Car Pages, for the record.

All places are fictional, although town names can't be copyrighted anyway, and all cars in the magazine/adverts in the magazine are fictional. Where would copyright cover fan-fiction like this?

BTW, I am from the United Kingdom but my content is hosted on U.S. servers - it is in PDF format.

Answer
John, this type of parody wouldn't qualify as "fan fiction."  But magazines of this type are everywhere and are fair game for being parodied.  I wouldn't worry one bit, if you're concerned about legal issues.  As for copyright, it would still protect your work, just as it would any other work you put out.

Writing Books

Vincent M. Wales