Writing Books/Using himself

Question
Hi, Bobbie.
   Hope you can help out here. I am writing a fantasy/fiction about a baby dragon and everything is going okay, except for one minor/major problem which keeps needling me and I just can't seem to get around it.
 The problem is using the himself too often but I am finding it difficult to see another way around what i need to say.

Example:   Nee was glad he had finally learnt to use his wings and could control his flight, although at times, he found himself reverting to his clumsy ways of the past.

I have wracked my brain with this word so many times, it drives me batty. Normally i find it easy to rewrite but this word is a doozie!

Have you any suggestions on how to go about getting this word to pack its bags and leave?
         Many thanks in advance and looking forward to hearing from you.

Answer
If your book is written in as delightful a way as your question, I'm sure the book will be great.

To respond to your question, as I understand it, you want to reduce the uses of the word "himself," to avoid repetition. The answer is not always simple, but in the example sentence you sent, recasting the sentence helps.

Instead of this: "Nee was glad he had finally learnt to use his wings and could control his flight, although at times, he found himself reverting to his clumsy ways of the past," consider this: Nee was glad he had finally learnt to use his wings and could control his flight, although at times, he reverted to his clumsy ways of the past. Or this: Nee was glad he had finally learnt to use his wings and control his flight, although at times he reverted to his clumsy ways of the past, which frustrated him.

Here's an even better way to recast, which avoids telling (narrative) and shows in dialogue what he thinks of himself: After a flight with a friend, Nee came down in an awkward three-point landing. Two legs and one wing hit the ground. Frustrated, he shook his head and kicked the dirt. "Doggone it! I thought I'd learned to use my wings right, and now I'm back to being clumsy again."

You are being a wise writer to look for ways to avoid repetition, because as my rewrites show, avoiding repetition leads to stronger writing.

I needn't tell you, I'm sure, that I used American spelling and punctuation. I know that Australian English differs.  

Writing Books

Bobbie Christmas