Writing Books/Literary Fiction?

Question
Hello,

I am going to be taking a class for "literary" fiction. I have a novel I am working on, but I am not for sure if it is a literary novel or more of a genre novel.

I think it fits into the "literary" novel category, but would like your opinion.

Basically, the story is of several couples trapped in an elevator. After a few days they decide to make some "deathbed" confessions to their spouses since they feel they are near death.

But after they finish their confessions, the elevator begins working again and they escape. The bulk of the novel really deals with how each couple repairs their relationship with their spouse after confessing some horrible thing they did.

Since the book really deals with the individuals and their relationships rather than an elaborate plot, I feel it probably is of the literary category, but would like your opinion.

Thanks.

Answer
Dear Robert,
Thank you for your question. That's a great premise. Whether it turns out to be significant as a literary piece will depend on how you develop it. If the novel speaks to some aspect of the human condition, or social or political issues of the times (or all times), then you have a literary novel. Try to involve action, since modern readers expect more than just twists and turns in relationships.
But you have a good idea you can develop in a literary fiction class.
Best wishes,
Nori

Writing Books

Nori J. Muster