Writing Books/Naming characters

I recently had some feedback from a couple of people regarding the book I wrote and am looking for an answer to my question. Both had said that the beginning was a little confusing because they couldn't keep up with the characters I used. Too many characters named and I was wondering how you would go about changing this when most of the characters used are important to the storyline further on. I realize there are a couple I can just refer to without naming but am not really sure how little I should be naming. I hope you understand what I mean.
There are around 8 characters in all that are of importance that come into the story quite a bit. Hope you can help and thank you in advance.

You have to name characters that are in the plot. There's no getting around that. You do not have to name people they meet and interact with; such as, clerks, neighbors, people on the street, etc.

Maybe your have too many characters. Most stories and plots have tow to three main characters and all else are just interaction people that aren't relevant.

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett

I am a published writer, Chief Editor and own A1 Editorial Service. I teach writing, specializing in novel writing, and creative writing. I can answer most any question concerning writing a book, plot and characterization, tighten the prose, and the editing process, and help advise with publishing and the requirements of obtaining a literary agent.

I'm a published writer, freelancer, and Chief Editor and own A1 Editorial Service. I teach writing for my two Online writer workshops.

Sisters In Crime Internet Chapter, The Short Mystery Fiction Society, and Brazos Writers Group.

Writers Post Journal magazine, May 2006 issue, Augusr 2006 issue, Nov/December 2006 issue and soon in 2008, On A Whim, flash fiction anthology, offered in Barnes & Nobles and Amazon.

Some college, creative writing, fiction writing

I have numerous clients using my service through my editorial service and numerous members in my Online writer workshops.