Writing Books/Self Publishing

Question
Hello Mr. Groner,

My 92 year old dad and I are writing up his WWII memoirs to self publish a book.

I want to include images of maps that are in Work Horse of the Western Front by Robert L. Hewitt and History of the 120th Infantry Regiment by Officers of the Regiment.

The first book has a copyright, 1946, by Infantry Journal, INC. and the second, copyright, 1947, by Infantry Journal Press.

As far as I can find out through internet searches, this publisher no longer is in business.  How can I find out who to contact to ask permission to use these images?

Your assistance in this search will be sincerely appreciated.

Thank you,

Patricia

Answer
Thanks for your question, Patricia.

Your best resource is an attorney familiar with publishing copyright. Check with your local bar association for names of those in this field. You might be able to get an answer from an attorney on the telephone. Otherwise, a first visit usually is no charge; attorneys charge only when they do specific work.

Other than an attorney, a local writers' club might have members experienced in publishing copyright. Your librarian may be able to help you locate a club.

Best wishes for every success.

Writing Books

Wayne Groner