Writing Books/Self Publishing

Hello Mr. Groner,

My 92 year old dad and I are writing up his WWII memoirs to self publish a book.

I want to include images of maps that are in Work Horse of the Western Front by Robert L. Hewitt and History of the 120th Infantry Regiment by Officers of the Regiment.

The first book has a copyright, 1946, by Infantry Journal, INC. and the second, copyright, 1947, by Infantry Journal Press.

As far as I can find out through internet searches, this publisher no longer is in business.  How can I find out who to contact to ask permission to use these images?

Your assistance in this search will be sincerely appreciated.

Thank you,

Thanks for your question, Patricia.

Your best resource is an attorney familiar with publishing copyright. Check with your local bar association for names of those in this field. You might be able to get an answer from an attorney on the telephone. Otherwise, a first visit usually is no charge; attorneys charge only when they do specific work.

Other than an attorney, a local writers' club might have members experienced in publishing copyright. Your librarian may be able to help you locate a club.

Best wishes for every success.

Writing Books

Wayne Groner

I can answer questions on all aspects of writing memoirs, biographies, family histories, and corporate histories including handling sensitive issues, interviewing, editing, self-publishing, and setting up a business as a memoir writer.

I have more than twenty-five years of experience as a radio and television news reporter, author, freelance writer, and workshop presenter. I present classes to nonprofits and professional groups, "How to Write Your Memoir or Life Story." I'm author of four nonfiction books. My latest book is A Guide to Writing Your Memoir or Life Story: Tools, Tips, Methods and Examples, available in paperback and eBook at Amazon. I'm past president of Springfield Writers' Guild (Missouri). My articles and book reviews on a variety of topics have been published in national magazines and on the Web. I was a senior-level college administrator for twenty-seven years, including nine years as a vice president, during which I wrote newsletters, brochures, magazine articles, and published and edited an alumni magazine.

Missouri Center for the Book, Springfield Writers' Guild, Greene County Historical Society, Christian County Historical Society.

Books: Witnesses of Hope, Faith, Love and Healing; Dumb Luck or Divine Guidance; The Pastor's Guide to Fund-raising Success; Levell-Drew Family History. National magazines including CASE Currents, Congregations, Ozarks Mountaineer, Your Community Hospice, Power and Light series of Sunday-school curriculum for adult learners.

Graceland College