Writing Books/Novel Category.

Question
Dear Nori

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novel‎

Among different categories of Novel / Stories / Books  i.e. Fiction written by Authors, Which category do you feel the Most difficult to write and which category could be the most easy to write with reasons ?.

Categories
----------

Comedy
Romance
Tragedy
Horror
Suspense
Thriller
etc

Do you feel Great Authors / Writers should be able to write
any Fiction Book/ Novel / Story ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Dear Prashant,
Thank you for your question. Great authors usually become great in one or another genre. The genres are considered easier than trying to write a mainstream novel. The most difficult is a mainstream novel, because it requires a more complex plot, along with more developed sub-plots. Writing a mainstream novel takes a lot of practice, so writers often start out in a genre. Genre fiction is good practice for eventually writing a mainstream novel.
Genre fiction works on a formula. For example, mystery always begins with a murder and a group of suspects. The end of the story is when the protagonist solves the mystery, and any other sub-plots are concluded.
An author may be attracted to writing a particular genre and become good at it, but shifting to another genre might be a struggle.
An author may choose a particular genre based on their own interest. Like, if you have ready every novel you can get your hands on from a particular genre, that would be the natural place to start.
Comedy - writing comedy takes training and skill to know what makes something funny
Romance - must follow a formula, there are many sub-categories of this genre
Tragedy - this is not a genre, it is a Greek word to describe one of the forms of mainstream story telling
Horror - a genre that follows a formula
Suspense - another genre, many subcategories
Thriller - another name for suspense or horror
Please write back if you want to discuss further,
Nori

Writing Books

Nori J. Muster