Writing Books/Story Format

Question
I am currently writing a story that takes place many years ago. It is written in first person past tense. While writing, though, I find myself occasionally slipping into present tense. When the narrator is describing a character, I want to write something like:

Fred is a good friend.

Instead of:

Fred was a good friend.

It seems to me that if written in past tense, the reader would have no way of knowing that Fred is still alive at the end.

I could write: Fred was, and still is, a good friend. But doing that for every character seems to be overkill.

Should I always stick with past tense, or can I occasionally jump to present tense to clarify, or does it matter if the reader assumes the character is no longer alive? Part of the problem is that some of the characters are dead and some are alive by the end.

Additionally, the last chapter jumps to present day, but is still written in past tense. Would it be wiser to write it in first person present tense, or should I stick with past tense to remain consistent?

Thank you.

Answer
It would be difficult to give a definite answer without reading the story, and I cannot read the story without charging a fee, because I am a professional editor. Still, I will do my best to respond.

Present tense is usually fine for poetry and short stories, but past tense is usually best in novels. Shifting from past to present tense can be confusing to readers, so without reading the story, I will say that in most cases, past tense is appropriate throughout, except in dialogue and direct thoughts.

When a character is the narrator, though, sometimes the guidelines can bend a little. I say go with your gut and write it as you feel it works best.  After you finish and get feedback from an editor or critique circle, you may decide to change it, but then again, you may not. If you can defend your reasons for writing something the way you did, you may be the best judge.

Writing Books

Bobbie Christmas