Writing Books/writing

Online a well known website, Sciencedaily.com publish articles that are based on other articles (referenced on the bottom). Then they say no one has the right to copy their articles. However, most of Sciencedaily.com articles are copied word for word from other articles. What are the rules about copying other articles word for word? Is it legal if reference is used at the bottom?

Hi Chris,

Maybe you can provide a specific example? I browsed around the Science Daily website and from the articles that I checked at random they were all re-written from the original source. They aren't allowed to copy the entire article verbatim. They are allowed to paraphrase the original article. They are also allowed to take direct quotes from the article provided that they attribute that quote to the original article. Generally the maximum length of copied text shouldn't usually exceed about a paragraph, but there are some exceptions.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Kind Regards,

Writing Books

Johnathan Clayborn

I can answer a broad range of questions about both academic and creative writing. I can answer questions about APA format, research and references, essay structure and more. I am particularly helpful in the areas of character development, storyline development, etc. and I can provide authors with an array of tools to help them organize their work.

I minored in English for my Bachelor's degree. I have also written several books and I run a small publishing company (before you ask, we're not accepting submissions at this time). I have written both fiction and non-fiction books and I have been published in newspapers and written articles for major internet websites.

Alpha Chi, Psi Chi, Kappa Delta Pi, APA

MS, Educational Psychology, BS Psychology (English minor)