Writing Books/None

Question

I think you remember me. As you know, I've never started finished my novel for a long time because of my biggest weakness. It is that I'm very poor in dialogue writing or the words said by a character so how should I work on that?

Thanks

Answer
Hi, Jem.  Nice to hear from you again.

Dialogue is definitely tricky. Most novice writers are bad at it for one of two reasons: either they don't write dialogue the way people really talk, or they write it too much like people really talk.

Here are some examples.

I've seen many young writers use names way too often in dialogue. Addressing the other person by name nearly every time a line is spoken.  In real life, we almost never use the other person's name.

On the other side, people are lazy talkers. We say "um" and "uh" all the time, and things like that. Some writers think that capturing dialogue totally accurately (including the ums and uhs) is good.  It's not.  It's awful to read.

Dialogue should be concise.  And remember what the purpose of dialogue is.  It is NOT to convey the plot.  The purpose of dialogue is to bring your characters alive.  So don't use dialogue to "tell the story."

A good way to get the feel for good dialogue is to watch good movies. There's some good dialogue on television, but there's a lot more bad dialogue there, too.  Movies, though, usually do pretty well with dialogue.  

Keep it short.  Keep it concise.  And make sure it expresses character.

Hope that's helpful.

Vince

Writing Books

Vincent M. Wales