Writing Books/Dialogue

Question
Hello Jannie,

I am currently writing a book, my first one, and I'm at the tail end of it. As I've been re-reading and picking through my finished chapters, I've wondered sometimes if I have written some of the dialogue incorrectly. Basically, when I am writing in a character saying something, and I am describing an action before they say it, do I always need to insert with it: she said, or she spoke, or she stated, etc. For example, below I have two sentences of dialogue---can either be correct?

1. I handed the tiny jar of ketchup to Camilla and said, “Here you go. Want me to order up anything else? I can order up some dessert.”

2. I handed the tiny jar of ketchup to Camilla, “Here you go. Want me to order up anything else? I can order up some dessert.”

I happen to do #2 a lot, because I felt whoever was doing the action, implied to the reader they were the ones who were speaking. Can both ways be correct---or do I always need to add the "said" type of word when my character is doing an action before the dialogue? I hope I have made sense explaining it, or through my example. I never questioned myself before, but my sister believes it should always be done as #1, if I am writing an action with dialogue. She's no expert, but you are!

Please let me know what you think.

Answer
First, I wonder why you are writing in first person instead of the traditional third person narrative that sets everything up for you: the author has an invisible voice describing the scenes for the characters and gives much more creative freedom. Pick up 5 books and you will see 4 books written in third person narrative.

If you wrote third person narrative, you wouldn't have that problem.

If you say "I handy the tiny jar.................." then, you don't need to say "and said." Not often anyway.........You've already established the "who" therefore, don't slow the reader down with unnecessary verbage.

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett