Writing Books/Sequel writing

Question
Hi, Susan.
       I have just a couple of simple questions.

In writing a novel with a sequel, how difficult is it for you to keep a flow from one book to another.
I just self published one book and am doing a sequel but am finding it difficult to start the second book although I have completed chapters of it.
I know where I want to go but the first chapter is very elusive.
Have you got any pointers for me in this area?
         Many thanks.

Answer
Hello Lee:

How difficult it will be to establish flow from one book to the other depends a lot on the story. What kind of a story is it, a family saga? a historical novel? If you did not end the whole thing off with the first book, why not? What made a sequel necessary or desired?

Perhaps the first chapter of the sequeis not coming easily to you because you are not certain where the second book should begin. This is not so critical in a sequel; if you have established a following with the first book, your readers will likely pick up with you at whatever point you choose. Will the second book stand alone? That is, can it be read and understood on its own, without the first book? If so, use the same criteria to choose for the first chapter that you chose for the first book.

A good fall-back-on rule for beginnings is to start a few seconds before everything changes for the worst, if you want to grab the readers' attention.

Happy writing!

Writing Books

Susan Rand