Writing Books/Starting sequeal

I recently self published my first fantasy novel and am now in the process of doing the sequel.
In my first novel, I left a few loose ends which I intend to cover in this next book but I am not quite sure how to go about it.
In the first book, one of my main characters was attached and taken by a dragon. He will still be in the second book but to help it make sense to the reader, I need to know how to explain the characters disappearance and how he survived.
I have been completing other chapters as I go but still haven't been able to fathom how to explain this.
 Hope this is not confusing and many thanks in advance.

Let me make sure I'm clear on what you're saying.  Are you implying that this character is suddenly back in the story without you showing anything at all about his survival and escape from the dragon?  If so, I'd have to ask why you're not showing that.  Sounds like a pretty adventurous bit of the story, so your readers would probably like to see it.

Writing Books

Vincent M. Wales

I am a speculative fiction novelist (fantasy, science fiction, and so on). While I may be able to answer questions on non-fiction, my specialty is fiction. Please keep that in mind when asking questions.

For four years, I taught a series of fiction writing classes in Sacramento, CA.

BA in fiction writing.

My 2004 novel, ONE NATION UNDER GOD, won BEST FICTION in Fresh Voices 2006, BEST FICTION and BEST YA FICTION in the NCPA Book Awards, and placed as a finalist in BEST BOOKS 2005. In 2002, my novel WISH YOU WERE HERE won awards for Best Fantasy and Best Fiction/Drama in the 8th Annual SPA Awards. My latest work is a trilogy titled THE MANY DEATHS OF DYNAMISTRESS (a superhero memoir). The first book, RECKONING, was released in 2013 and won the SF category in the 2014 San Francisco Book Festival, took second place in the 2013 Royal Dragonfly Book Awards for the SF/Fantasy/Paranormal category, second place in the SF category of the 2013 Reader Views Reviewers Choice Awards, and was finalist in Foreword's 2013 Book of the Year Awards, Fantasy category. The second book, REDEMPTION, will be released in early 2015 and the final book, RENAISSANCE, is scheduled for release in late 2016.