Writing Books/2 Part question

Hi Rhonda,

After years of writing plays, screenplays, and other drama I recently completed my first novel. I've done a first revision and it is in the hands of some outside readers (friends who promised to be impartial.)

Here are my questions. I've been corresponding by e-mail with an author friend of mine. I read a book of his in college and found his website. He turned me onto an editor who gave him his first break and I reached out to him. His name is Bob Wyatt and from what I can tell he's a heavy hitter in the industry. My first e-mail to him he requested a summary and the first couple pages. I received some positive feedback which gave me some validation that I may have something. I admitted to him it wasn't ready for a professional editor yet. But after I get my test readers' feedback and take another stab at revision I may be.

I want to keep in touch but I also don't want to annoy the guy. And I admit, I'm a nobody in the literary industry as of now. And even if he isn't my editor I'm sure he could turn me onto someone who he's worked with or mentored. I guess my question is what should be my approach with him at this point?

Also, what's the best approach with using social media/websites to market myself? I have a website ( I'm starting a podcast and have big plans for it. I want to use it to market myself as well as twitter and facebook. Any tips/tricks I can use to get my name and skills out there?

Thanks for your time and I look forward to your response.

Hi Ryan,

Congratulations on your book writing success!

Regarding communicating with the editor, I would definitely send him the information that he requested as soon as possible. Then, I would give him two to three weeks to read through the material, following up with an email at the end of the third or fourth week.  It can take some editors several weeks or months to read thru a book proposal or synopsis, as editors tend to have dozens of proposals to read thru, in addition to meeting with publishers to try to sell manuscripts to them.

I think building a website is a good marketing strategy as is creating a Facebook and Twitter page and keeping those pages active by adding comments, pictures, etc. several times a week. After your book is published, you can do online and offline radio interviews, write and send press releases to the media, etc. to gain exposure for your book.

Best wishes,

Writing Books

Rhonda Campbell

I can answer questions on how to get published in magazines and newspapers; how to market your own books; how to earn a living writing; how to write press releases; how to find a good editor; how to edit your own books; finding a good printer; finding a good book illustrator; doing your taxes as a freelance writer. Questions I can't answer include specifics around working with a print on demand publisher

I have 36 years of experience as a writer (fiction and non-fiction). I am a book reviewer with Nielsen Media. I am a newspaper columnist and a reporter. I am a former radio station host and I am the editor of a literary newsletter, The Book Lover's Haven. I am also the author of more than 10 books.

Writer's Critique Group

The Trenton Times Philadelphia Trend Sisters in Style Essence Magazine The Pittsburgh Quarterly Obsidian II, etc.

I have taken numerous writing courses on book, proposal and grant writing as well as marketing and promotion

100 Most Admired African American Women Who's Who