Writing Books/Local Character Names

Question
Ms Bobbie Christmas

First of all, I would like to point out that I am a Malaysian.

I am currently in the process of finishing up my edits for my (possibly) first book. Few people have been asking to read them before the book is ready so I passed around my prologue and first chapter around for reviews.

So far, the ONLY comment from three people I have shown, I received was that they are uncomfortable reading local names. As mentioned, I am from Malaysia, a multi cultural country and I introduced in a prologue a Malay character and in my first chapter a Sikh character. The problem stems from the fact that Malaysia have few, if not none, non-urban fiction writers and my genre is sci-fi/superhuman fiction. So every reader who are into this genre are, in a layman language, "Americanized".

I understand what do they mean because we are so used to reading English names in these genres and I struggled with it myself during the writing process. The problem with me using American or European or anything other than Malaysian is that I don't fully understand the culture, geography and history as much as Malaysia and I would like to stick to my core as a Malaysian, writing a superfiction novel with Malaysian settings and Malaysian primary characters.

One commenter claimed that my book will never get published solely because I used local name in that genre.

What I want to ask is just your opinion on this matter. Chances are, I won't be able to publish locally since Malaysia lacks in publishing house for fiction books and none (last I checked) actually specialized in anything other than contemporary and urban literature. So my primary option would be international agents and publishing house. Do you think agents, editors and publisher will get turn off by me using Malay, Sikh, Chinese, Indian names? If so, could you spare me some advice on how to improve this matter?

Sorry for the long letter, appreciate your reply and thank you in advance.

Best wishes,
Jeffrey

Answer
Dear Jeffrey:

I cannot speak for publishers, of course, but I wonder if the folks who read your manuscript are familiar with sci-fi. I ask because sci-fi is known for using very odd names, sometimes unpronounceable ones. It would seem to me that using international names would add to the marketability internationally, because there is a definite movement in America toward being multicultural, so I would think that using names from other cultures would be a benefit, not a drawback.

Best of all, the names of characters are not enough, in my opinion, to bring rejection from an agent or publisher. If a publisher requests a name change, the change can be done quickly with a few computer commands and key strokes. Rather than caring about names, publishers look for a strong, compelling, well-told, well-written story. Concentrate on creating a good plot with interesting twists, turns, dialogue, and subplots, and make sure the manuscript is edited and clean. Those points are much more important than a few character names.

Writing Books

Bobbie Christmas