Writing Books/nonfiction crime story

Question
Can I legally use real names, locations and situations (victim, victim's family, friends, perpetrators, investigators) when writing a true crime story?

Since many of the key players are deceased or unwilling to be interviewed, would I be better off making if half fiction? In that case, what would I need to change in the story?

I welcome any suggestions.

Thank you.

Answer
Paula:

When including real people in your work, there are only a couple key things to keep in mind.  

On the one hand, you need to portray them accurately, i.e., don't portray someone as, for example, an alcoholic if they aren't. That would constitute libel and you could be sued. This would also apply to the deceased, as their families could go after you, and to those who refuse to be interviewed.

On the other hand, if you can prove your assertions, you can pretty much say anything you like.

Whether you feel you'd need to fictionalize things is up to you. But if this is a case with public information available to you, I don't see why you'd need to do that.  

Writing Books

Vincent M. Wales