Writing Books/Publishing

QUESTION: Hi Rhonda,

I'm currently writing a book about traveling. I have written a draft and I'll be spending the next couple of months editing it. I want to know is how do I get a publisher to publish my book? thanks

ANSWER: Hi Jackie,

Congratulations on writing your travel book!

Many traditional publishers work through literary agents. You can also search for book publishers who publish the types of books that you write. Check out their manuscript subscription guidelines and follow up three to four weeks after you submit your manuscript to see if they are interested in publishing your travel book.

Some places where you could find literary agents and book publishers are:

Wishing you the very best!

Thank you for the resources that you have provided. I have a follow up question. How do I prevent an editor from stealing my work? Does this happen a lot?

Hi Jackie,

If you submit your work to reputable editors, publishers and literary agents, you should be fine. Keep a copy of your manuscript. The U.S. Copyright office (http://www.copyright.gov) generally ask for a copy of finished works when you apply for a copyright.

But, if you keep a copy of your manuscript and a record of the editors, publishers, literary agents, etc., who you send your manuscript to, you should be fine.  All works come with some copyright protections, even if they aren't registered with the Copyright office. Registering with the Copyright office offers more protection, especially should you ever have to go to court over a copyright.

All the best!

Writing Books

Rhonda Campbell

I can answer questions on how to get published in magazines and newspapers; how to market your own books; how to earn a living writing; how to write press releases; how to find a good editor; how to edit your own books; finding a good printer; finding a good book illustrator; doing your taxes as a freelance writer. Questions I can't answer include specifics around working with a print on demand publisher

I have 36 years of experience as a writer (fiction and non-fiction). I am a book reviewer with Nielsen Media. I am a newspaper columnist and a reporter. I am a former radio station host and I am the editor of a literary newsletter, The Book Lover's Haven. I am also the author of more than 10 books.

Writer's Critique Group

The Trenton Times Philadelphia Trend Sisters in Style Essence Magazine The Pittsburgh Quarterly Obsidian II, etc.

I have taken numerous writing courses on book, proposal and grant writing as well as marketing and promotion

100 Most Admired African American Women Who's Who